Saturday, June 14, 2008

Buzzzzz buzzz

I must have read Billy Bunny to baby Julian at least one hundred times over the years and each time we flipped the last page to reveal a pretty meadow a-buzzing with busy bees, Julian would point them out while I buzzed and tickled his neck or tummy to his giggling delight. It wasn't long before the bee tickle became our thing anytime we saw a picture of a bee...anywhere! And since almost every children's book or puzzle has at least one bee in it, I've been buzzing for a long long time!


It was only a matter of time really before our bee thing would start affecting my knitting. And now it has! Meet Buzzy and Buzza. Our new knitted bee noise-makers. I used Little Cotton Rabbit's Easter egg pattern to make these and simply knit the "egg" in alternating 4-row stripes of brown and yellow for the bee body.


For the wings, I simply cast on 20 stitches, worked 6 rows in stockinette, cut the yarn and pulled it through all 20 stitches (2x). I then used the tails to seam the sides and sew the wings to the bee. For the antennae, I knit 3 stitch i-cords for about an inch, tied knots in one end and sewed them to the bee. Ta-da!

I filled plastic easter eggs with rice and then seamed the bee around them to make salsa style noisemakers just like the plain ones we use in music class. Note to the wise: one of the bees is already busted -- and I didn't catch the offender so I don't know how it happened -- so if you make one, I suggest you seriously tape or glue the egg halves closed before dressing them in their bee costumes, just in case ;0)

And now for something completely different: it was our daddy's birthday this week! The big 3-0! So the kids and I went on a secret mission to the grocery store where Julian got the run of the store picking out decorations for daddy's cake. It was all about animal crackers, mini marshmallows, m&m's, licorice, and 4 kinds of jimmies and Sunday sprinkles! He had such fun decorating it and we really enjoyed eating the mountain of cake and candy he created.



Happy birthday dada, we heart you plein, plein, plein, plein!

12 comments:

  1. Oh those bees are so cute. What with Susan's bee hat and a pattern in my knitting mag for bee booties, your little guys would make a perfect addition to a baby gift. Now I just need someone to knit them all for!
    Happy birthday to your hubby, looks like you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thos are some very cute bees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bees are adorable! Great cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Gotta love making knitted toys - especially ones that make noise! I can't believe how your boys are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:21 a.m.

    those bees are soooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the bees are darling!! i love your idea for cake decorating...my son would love to pick out toppings for his dad's b-day cake:o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:56 a.m.

    My oldest daughter was peeking over my shoulder as I read and loudly proclaimed, "I want bumby-bees...peas..." How can I refuse with a plea like that? Adorable pattern, happy family, sweet children...what a lovely life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, too cute!

    Great cake too - love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those - now I'm thinking I have to pull out the little bunny I started in Spring 2007 and actually finish the dang thing! You are a fabulous knitter, thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute Anny, I just love them, i am going to be making a flutterbug for my little guys 1st birthday, months away but your bees reminded me of a project I need to do...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:01 p.m.

    how adorable! i need to make these for my grandbabies because i collect bees of all sorts. thanks so much for the pattern and inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg they look so cute, I want some bees like that !!!
    Thanks for share, I guess I will ask someone to made it haha

    ReplyDelete